The smallest Ugrian royal town
The formerly smallest Ugrian royal town, mainly occupied by German inhabitants. The town was famous for its busy crafts activity.
Those crafts were represented by brewers, tailors, shoemakers and blacksmiths whose traditional folk crafts you can personally experience in the local exposition of Nestville Park even today. Burgher´s houses as dominants of Spiš architecture now line the square of Hniezdne and at the same time reveal its history.
What to see
What is worth visiting in Hniezdne?
A church with preserved Baroque altars of St. Nicholas, St. John the Baptist, St. Anna Metercia, St. Barbara, St. Joseph from the beginning of the 18th century, the sculptures Jesus Christ on the cross, St. Peter and Paul from the second half of the 18th century, a classicistic rostrum and confession booth as well as a stone rostrum built in the same classicistic style in cuplike form with copper top. It is open to public at summer season and during masses.
Stands right in front of the church on a base from red marble with moulding and a cap, bordered with two carved out wings. Stone sculptures of God the Father, Christ on the cross and above them the symbol of Holy Spirit – (TheTrinity) come from the 18th century.
Burgher’s houses which line the square of Hniezdne offer its visitors a bit of history hidden in two-storey brick houses. The recent town´s build-up area was being formed at the beginning of the 17th century in late-renaissance style. Houses built in late-baroque style in the 18th century create the urban character of Hniezdne. Many of these dominants of Spiš architecture are trimmed with decorations. For example precious wall paintings such as: The Holy Family, Baptism of Christ (house Nr. 229) or the sculpture of St. Florian from 1779 (house Nr. 114). To 19th century buildings belongs the old school (1840), the town hall (1880) as well as the above-mentioned church.
Personalities of Hniezdne
Vidor Juran (1879 – 1963)
Teacher and later manager of a folk school in Spišská Belá. He was a Tatra nature expert and co-founder of the hunting organisation in Slovakia after world war the 1st. In 1932 he contributed to a yearlong prohibition of shooting bears. In charge of the Hunting protective association for Slovakia he organised the first major exhibition of hunting trophies in Berlin. As a co-author he published the book Naše poľovníctvo (Our huntsmanship,1935). After the year 1945 he also wrote for the magazine Poľovnícky obzor (Hunting horizon) and issued an extensive monograph about wolfs.
Mgr. Vladimír Majovský (1953 – 2006)
Originally coming from Hniezdne, long-time employee and director of the Edyfying centre in Poprad, leader of the folk group Magura in Kežmarok, managing director of the Carpathian – German newspaper Karpatenblatt.